This hike touches two of the most famous places of Pale di San Martino mountains group, namely Ferrata Bolver-Lugli (a.k.a. Ferrata del Cimóne) and Cima Vezzana. Despite several peaks of the group being above 3,000m a.s.l. high, Cima della Vezzána, with its 3,192m a.s.l., is the highest of the Pale di San Martino group. It must be mentioned that Vezzana could be rather crowded during the Summer season, while the via ferrata is normally not, since it requires a medium-high level of experience and is is definitely not suggested for beginners. The via ferrata is not technically demanding, but it is tiring. It develops on the Southwestern side of Cimón della Pala (or more simply Cimóne), known also as the Matterhorn of the Dolomites, since its shape resembles the more famous peak of the Western Alps.
During the first half of the hike the scenery is simply amazing, with a 360 degree landscape facing Val di Primiero on the Southern side and – from West to East – Passo Rolle and Val di Fiemme, Val di Fassa, Latemar and Catinaccio dolomites groups, Marmolada, Civetta and Vette Feltrine. The top of Cima Vezzana is a nice balcony with a 1,000m jump to Passo Rolle and Val Venegia, where what nowadays remains of the Travignòlo glacier stands. The way back to Rifugio Pedrotti is rather boring, if compared to the first part of the hike.
- From San Martino di Castrozza, take the cable car to Rifugio Colverde
- From Rifugio Colverde, follow the signpost No. 706 to Ferrata Bolver-Lugli and Bivacco Fiamme Gialle
- Ferrata Bolvér-Lùgli starts at 2,270m a.s.l. and ends right in front of Bivacco Fiamme Gialle
- From Bivacco Fiamme Gialle, follow the path heading North to Passo del Travignolo, it is basically impossible to miss
- From Passo del Travignolo, follow the signposts 716 to Cima Vezzana
- From Cima Vezzata, head back to Passo del Travignolo
- From Passo del Travignolo, follow the signposts 716 to Rifugio Pedrotti, going through Passo Bettega ✓
- For climbers, from the very end of Ferrata Bolver-Lugli, on the place called Spalla del Cimóne (i.e. Cimón della Pála’s shoulder), it is quite easy to climb up to the top of the mountain.
- Within this suggested hike, Cima Vezzána is an extra. Typically, after the end of the Ferrata Bolver-Lugli, the hikers go directly to Rifugio Pedrotti.