Colverde – Malga Pala – Cròde Rosse – Malga Fòsse di Sotto – Prà delle Nasse
Given the presence of this cute little animal in this specific area of the Pale di San Martino, this itinerary allows, with a little bit of luck, to see the marmots. Unfortunately, we must admin that it is not easy to spot them. The route is a relatively easy loop of about 4 hours with 800 m of elevation gain starting in San Martino di Castrozza, without any particular technical challenge.
From the parking lot of the Colverde cable car, the trail begins to climb along the ski slope until merging into the Signpost No. 18, which continues climbing through the forest. By the cable car arrival, turn left and follow the signs towards Malga Pala.
Once arrived at the hut of Malga Pala (1,897 m a.s.l.), the hike climbs along the beautiful green pastures, where you can meet horses and grazing sheep. This passage is characterized by a panoramic ridge to the left that runs along the pastures to the summit, and a fantastic view of the main summits of the Pale di San Martino group: Cimón della Pala, Cima Rosétta and Pala di San Martino.
Once reached the highest point, at Cròde Rosse, at approximately 2,160 mt of altitude, the view opens onto the slope towards Passo Rolle, with Malga Fosse di Sopra in the foreground and the Lagorai chain on the left. At this point the itinerary takes the Signpost No. 712, as known as Sentiero dei Finanzieri, which descends towards the hut of Malga Fosse di Sopra. It is possible to stop by the hut to take a break.
From Malga Fosse di Sopra (1,936 m a.s.l.), the way back to the village of San Martino di Castrozza follows the bed of the Cismón stream, along the path that runs along the main road of Passo Rolle (SS50), passing through the pastures of Malga Fosse di Sotto (1,639 m a.s.l.) (tr. the one standing below) and Villa Pisóni, until reaching the grass of Prà delle Nasse, by the village of San Martino di Castrozza.
Easy and very scenic route, without technical difficulties, also suitable for families. The only thing we suggest is to be careful and not to get too close to the ridge, while crossing the pastures of Malga Pala.
- From the Colverde cable car starting station, climb towards Rifugio Colverde, by following the path of the Signpost No. 18,
- Right before the Colverde cable car arrival, turn left (west) and folllow the signs pointing to Malga Pala,
- From the hut of Malga Pala (1,897 m a.s.l.), ascend the surrounding pasture until reaching the location of Cròde Rosse,
- From the gap by Cròde Rosse, take the Signpost No. 712 (a.k.a. Sentiero dei Finanzieri) heding downhill towards Malga Fosse di Sopra,
- From the hut of Malga Fosse di Sopra (1,936 m a.s.l.), follow the trail along the river of Cismón, heading south towards San Martino di Castrozza, passing by the hut of Malga Fosse di Sotto (1,639 m a.s.l.) and arriving at the location called Prà delle Nasse, in the village of San Martino di Castrozza. ✓