This rather short but intense hike is ideal for snowshoes, in the presence of snow. The route develops around the bottom of the valley called Valle del Lòzen: the nice valley of the stream of Lòzen (a.k.a. Torrente Lòzen), which flows from Pisorno and Calaita into the Vanòi Valley, close to the village of Canal San Bovo.
The trail starts next to the hotel known as Albergo Lòzen (about 1,180 m asl), along the SP239 road connecting the Gobbera Pass and the touristic Calaita Lake. From the hotel parking slot of the hotel, take a gravel road, slightly heading uphill towards north. The path starts following the course of the stream of Lòzen. After a few hundred meters, the trail becomes less visible and begins to climb up into the forest, reaching the pastures of a location called Prà del Prète (tr. the meadow of the priest).
Continuing the not particularly demanding but quite steep ascent, while following the meadows along the western slope of the Lòzen Valley and the Signpost towards the hut of Malga Lòzen, you will shortly reach the wide pasture of the hut.
Once at the hut (1,487 m asl), follow the gravel road heading south, which after passing through the forest while skirting the side of the valley, reaches a crossroads with the path called Ippovia del Trentino Orientale, towards the village of Canal San Bovo. The path, suitable for horse riding, is wide and easy to walk. It gently descends towards the location of Masi del Lòzen, crossing few meadows that offer some interesting sights on the opposite side of the valley, with the meadows on the slopes of Mount Bedolé (1,792 m asl) and Santa Romina.
Once you reach the pastures in the location of Masi del Lòzen (about 1,230 m asl), before crossing the stream named as Rio Fólga, descend the lawn along the stream until you cross a path that leads back to the hotel, where you will be back at the starting point, after crossing the basin with its typical alpine architecture.
The hike, not particularly demanding, requires a good sense of direction. Hence, we strongly recommend that you bring a map or a GPS tracker with you.
- From the hotel called Albergo Lòzen (approx. 1,180 m asl), take the wide path ascending along the stream of Lòzen,
- Keep following the path towards the hut named Malga Lòzen, passing through the meadows of the location called Prà del Prete,
- From the hut of Malga Lòzen (1,487 m asl), take the Signpost marked as Ippovia del Trentino Orientale heading to the village of Canal San Bovo, until reaching the location called Masi al Lòzen,
- From the pastures of Masi al Lòzen, descend and get back to the starting point, by Albergo Lòzen. ✓
- B&B Lozen: https://www.bblozen.it/