This mid-altitude hike explores the forest of the hill named Colle del Piné, located in the south-eastern part of the village of Transacqua, between the location of Navoi and the hamlet of Óltra. The tour documented here starts from Navoi, near the public gardens of Belvedere; however, since the route forms a loop, it is up to everyone to decide where to start it. Given the long uphill stretch that the itinerary features, we do not recommend this route for those who do not feel too fit; nevertheless, consider that, once the highest point of the route is reached, the trail will turn into a very pleasant walk in a wooded and wild environment, yet remaining not too far out from the villages.
From the gardens of Belvedere (Belvedere Enrica), the route continues along Via Navoi towards the north-east, heading to Transacqua. After passing the building of Molinét (historic mill) on the watercourse of Ric Maór, in a few hundred meters you reach the junction with Via Caltène, which you follow uphill towards Le Vale / Rifugio Caltena. At the next crossroads, the itinerary continues, always uphill, taking the road on the right (Via Boiòla), towards the south, crossing Ric Maór once again and climbing towards the stable of Masón (tr. big hut). After passing the Masón, the route reaches the ruins of an ancient furnace (Calchera), at which it leaves the paved road of Via Boiòla to turn right, towards the west, onto a rough-bottomed driveway that seems to end shortly thereafter. Just where the road seems to stop, the route continues along a trail that goes up the silent forest of Piné, in a stretch that – depending on the season – can be quite muddy. Once you have overcome this climb, the path becomes easy and pleasant, skirting the edges of the biotope of Val de Castèl, in what was once a slope full of meadows, quickly reaching the highest point of the itinerary and offering, meanwhile, several panoramic sights that allow you to see the higher part of the Valley of Primiero with the Dolomites of the Pala Group in the background.
The path then begins to gradually descend towards the hamlet of Óltra, belonging to the Municipality of Mezzano. From Óltra, the route takes the beautiful path running in the forest – parallel to the cyclepath – towards Madonna del Sass / Ósne / Transacqua (Signpost No. 735). Once you reach the shrine of Madonna del Sass (or Madonna dei Piài) – rebuilt in 1837 for the grace received for the escape from cholera – the trail proceeds towards the location of Ósne with its splendid meadow used as a pasture, which offers a remarkable view of the Pala Group. Although abandoned, in the middle of the meadow you can see the historic dovecote tower dating back to the 1600s, as well as three old buildings for residential and agricultural use.
From the meadows of Ósne (725 m asl) it will be sufficient to proceed along the main path to rejoin the paved road of Via Navoi and then return to the starting point, at the gardens of Belvedere.
We suggest tackling this hike in the afternoon, in order to enjoy a better exposure to the sun; additionally, we do not recommend this tour in case of the presence of ice.
- From the gardens of Belvedere, follow the street of Via Navoi towards Transacqua until the intersection with the street of Via Caltene,
- Go up Via Caltene towards Rifugio Caltena, then take Via Boiola towards Mason / Boia.
- From the stable of Mason, continue following Via Boiola until reaching the ancient furnace,
- From the furnace, go up along the dirt road to the right and continue uphill along the path in the forest of Piné,
- Follow the path that descends to the hamlet of Oltra (Municipality of Mezzano),
- From Oltra, follow the trail of the Signpost No. 735 towards Madonna del Sass / Ósne / Transacqua until you reach the location of Navoi, right after passing the meadow of Ósne (725 m asl),
- From Navoi, go back to the Belvedere gardens, a few meters from the junction between Via Navoi and the path to the shrine of Madonna del Sass (or Madonna dei Piai). ✓