Fiera di Primiero

Fiera di Primiero
  • Fiera di Primiero (710 m asl) is the administrative and commercial center of Valley of Primiero and the seat of the municipality of Primiero San Martino di Castrozza.
  • The name “la Fiera” (tr. the market) comes from the fact that markets were held in the center, at the confluence of the Cismón and Canali streams.
  • The birth of the village dates back to the 15th century, after that of the older villages such as Tonadico, together with the development in Primiero, at the time a fief of the Welsperg family that was part of the Habsburg Empire, of the mining industry (copper, silver and iron). The center was thus called the Fiera di Primiero (Markt Primör in German) because markets were held there. 
  • As the village expanded, prominent families from the nearest ancient centers settled in Fiera, among them the Welsperg counts (in the Welsperg Palace), who alternated their residence there with Castel Pietra.
  • After the decline of the mining period, Fiera remained nevertheless an important commercial and administrative center and was therefore elevated to Borgata status.
  • Under Fascism, in 1927, the Municipality of Fiera was aggregated with the other municipalities of Tonadico, Sagron Mis, Siror and Transacqua to the Municipality of Primiero, with its headquarters in Fiera. At the end of World War II, the old municipal administrations were restored, and in 1946 Fiera regained its political-administrative autonomy, forming the second smallest Italian municipality by area (0.15 km²). From January 1, 2016, with the merger of the municipalities of the High Primiero, Fiera became the seat of the newly formed municipality of Primiero San Martino di Castrozza.
  • Pieve remains the most historic and interesting part of Fiera di Primiero to visit, while in the center of Fiera there are few buildings worth a mention: the church with its 17th-century neoclassical façade of the Beata Maria della Consolazione, subsidiary to the Church of Santa Maria Assunta; the Welsperg Palace; the Someda Palace, castle built in the early 16th-century by the Someda family by the location of Tressane; the church bell tower, which, despite its proximity to the building, is a civil building from 1910 that was commissioned for the purpose of moving the clock (at the time placed on the church facade).

Related hikes

  • Tourist

Tour of the Towns

Upper Primiero

  • Duration: 03:00 hrs
  • Length: 11.2 km
  • Elev. gain:
  • Demanding
  • Best choice

Leslie Stephen

Canali Valley,Pala Group,Upper Primiero

  • Duration: 12:00 hrs
  • Length: 29.5 km
  • Elev. gain:
  • Promenade

Pieve - Mezzano

Lower Primiero,Upper Primiero

  • Duration: 02:00 hrs
  • Length: 6.8 km
  • Elev. gain:
  • Tourist

Da La Boteghina a la Zima

Upper Primiero

  • Duration: 04:30 hrs
  • Length: 13.6 km
  • Elev. gain:
  • Tourist

San Martino → Fiera

San Martino di Castrozza,Upper Primiero

  • Duration: 03:00 hrs
  • Length: 12.6 km
  • Elev. gain:
  • Promenade

Tonadico Countryside

Upper Primiero

  • Duration: 01:30 hrs
  • Length: 4.0 km
  • Elev. gain: