Rifugio Cima d’Asta – Ottone Brentari

RIfugio Cima d'Asta - Brentari
  • The Rifugio Cima d’Asta – Ottone Brentari is located at the foot of the south face of the Cima d’Asta massif, on the edge of a natural moraine dam bordering the small lake of the same name. The wall, studded with towers and favorably exposed to the sun, is a destination for many climbers who, starting in 1952, opened several routes there.
  • The Rifugio is the main refuge built by SAT (Trento Alpine Society) in the Lagorai-Cima d’Asta group. For decades the hut was the only one existing in the largest mountain range in the province of Trentino and thus the starting point for both the ascents of the summit of Cima d’Asta and the treks to Lagorai, Passo Cinque Croci and Val Cìa.
  • The proposal of building the Rifugio, by local guides, came from the 1906 SAT Congress, and work began the following year; on August 24, 1908, the Rifugio Cima d’Asta was inaugurated.
  • The two world wars brought very serious damage to the structure, which was subject to countless vandalisms and was restored first in 1922 (and dedicated to Ottone Brentari, a well-known writer, author of the first guidebook of Trentino commissioned by SAT and mountaineer who died in 1921) and then in 1952, thanks to the work of Giovanni Strobele.
  • Faced with an increasingly frequent presence of groups and mountaineers, in 1982 SAT decided to carry out a radical expansion of the Refuge, completed in 1985, which delivered a new structure three times bigger if compared to the original one and with more than 50 beds (compared to the previous 18).

Related hikes

  • Intermediate

Cima d’Asta from Caoria

Cima d'Asta Massif,Upper Vanoi

  • Duration: 09:00 hrs
  • Length: 20.5 km
  • Elev. gain: