Perhaps, just few hikes on the Pale di San Martino are “more” classic than this one. The trek proposed here is a classic that can be found almost on any Primiero hiking guidebook. This is not a loop, but there should be no problems with logistics using public transportation during the summer season.
Before the start, take the Colverde cable car from the village of San Martino di Castrozza. The cable car will take you directly to the plateau of the Pale di San Martino. Most of the plateau will be visible from the cable car landing point. During the walk, the view will gradually open up, offering a wide overview of the entire northern side of the Pale mountain group. During this pleasant hike, after reaching the Pradidali pass, you will cross at approx. 2,650 m a.s.l. what is left of the Fradusta Glacier, now reduced to a little bit more than an alpine lake, due to global warming. Once you will be on Passo Canali, you will leave the plateau and its lunar landscape by starting a long descent towards Rifugio Treviso, along Val Canali.
This walk is suitable for everyone and it is not dangerous. However, given its length, the downhill stretch from Passo Canali to Malga Canali can be extremely boring for children.
- From the Colverde cable car landing point, on the side of Cima Rosetta, follow the Signpost No. 701A towards Rifugio Pedrotti,
- From Rifugio Pedrotti, take the Signpost No. 707 towards Cima Fradusta / Passo Canali,
- Converge into the Signpost No. 709, towards Cima Fradusta,
- Cross the Fradusta Glacier and take the Signpost No. 708,
- Keep following the Signpost No. 708 towards Passo Canali (2,466 m s.l.m.),
- Keep following the path heading down to Rifugio Treviso / Malga Canali, along the Signpost No. 707,
- Arrive in Malga Canali. ✓
RIFUGIO PEDROTTI ALLA ROSETTA
- Located on the plateau of the Pala Group (Pale di San Martino), at 2,358 meters of altitude, the hut of Rifugio Giovanni Pedrotti alla Rosetta, also called Rifugio Pedrotti or Rifugio Rosetta, was built in 1889, based on a design by the engineer Annibale. The hut is one of the oldest Rifugio owned by SAT (club of alpinists from the area of Trento).
- As early as 1896, given the growing interest around the Dolomites of the Pala Group, the hut was enlarged. Together with the expansion project, the SAT also decided to build a second building, used as a hotel, at the gap of Passo della Rosetta, overlooking the basin where the village of San Martino di Castrozza stands. However, the initiative was trashed away due to the outbreak of the First World War.
- After the Great War, which left only a few walls standing, Rifugio Rosetta was restored and subsequently enlarged in 1931. The Second World War, however, reserved a similar fate to the hut, which was set on fire by the Nazis.
- With the construction, in 1957, of the cable car that leads from Colverde to a few hundred meters from the hut, Rifugio Rosetta opened finally up to mass tourism of the Dolomites.
- Located on the eastern side of the Val Canali, in a picturesque landscape of large larches and firs, Rifugio Treviso (originally Canalihütte or Rifugio Canali) was inaugurated on the 26th of August, 1897. The inauguration ceremony was organized by the section of the DOe- AV of Dresden, which had chosen to build the alpine hut where it stands nowadays.
- The inauguration of the Refuge, in 1897, with the iconic first ascent by A.G.S. Raynor and J.S. Phillimore of the climbing track called Torre Dresda (tr. Dresden Tower) on the peak of Pala della Madonna, marked the beginning of mass mountaineering tourism in Val Canali. The valley’s peaks were explored by climbers such as Oscar Schuster and the Meurer family, Beatrice Tomasson, the Phillimore-Raynor couple, Fabbro, Della Fior and Bussi.
- At the end of the Great War, following the Treaty of Saint-Germain, the Canalihütte was entrusted to the Italian Alpine Club (CAI) of Treviso, which in 1924 reopened the hut with its current name. With the ownership of the CAI of Treviso, and especially with its president Giulio Vianello, must be traced not only to the renewal of the refuge, but also to its further enhancement for mountaineering purposes, thanks also to the opening of a brilliant network of new tracks – among which the beautiful Vani Alti and Sédole stand out -, between the 1920s and 1930s. Even today, the path named “del dotór” (tr. of the doctor) recalls the figure of Giulio Vianello, as he was a medical doctor.