The typical tourist access that leads from Val Canali to the hut called Rifugio Treviso is an easy walk on a wide forest road that runs along the bed of the stream of Canali, for then facing a last slightly more demanding stretch in the forest, before getting you to the hut. The walk is suitable for all seasons, even at night, also considering the fact that Rifugio Treviso is the lowest and most accessible mountain hut of the Dolomites of Pale di San Martino. Although the widely known tourist access consists in a round trip along the gravel road of the Signpost No. 707, the route proposed here includes a variant that, while ascending, crosses the meadows of Prati Canali and passes by the hut of Malga Canali.
The route begins in the location of Sabionade, at the end of the main road at the bottom of the Canali valley. From the starting point, at an altitude of approximately 1,180 m, the itinerary follows the small path that steeply climbs into the forest towards the east, beginning on the north of the restaurant named Cant del Gal. The initial climb is undoubtedly the most demanding part of this walk.
After about a hundred meters, the climb is finished, as the meadows of Prati Canali open up. The itinerary crosses the meadows slightly uphill until reaching the location of Pra Òrto, where it continues east towards Malga Canali.
After reaching the hut of Malga Canali (1,307 m asl) with its wonderful panorama – including the peaks of Cima Feltraio, Cima d’Oltro, Sass d’Ortiga, Pala del Rifugio Treviso, Coro, Alberghet, Pala dei Colombi -, the route continues along a path that develops parallel to the main road connecting the hut, until it joins the Signpost No. 707. The itinerary then continues along the paved road of the Signpost No. 707, constantly ascending the valley, until reaching a wooden bridge that allows you to cross the Canali stream.
At the base of the last uphill section, the route continues following the signs towards Rifugio Treviso, along a path that, after 13 hairpin bends in the forest, leads directly to Rifugio Treviso (1,629 m asl), with a monument in memory of various local climbers right before reaching the hut.
The way back follows the Signpost No. 707 backwards, that leads directly to the starting point.
- From the location called Sabionade, in the valley of Canali (1,180 m asl), proceed along the path that leads uphill to Malga Canali, north and parallel to the Signpost No. 707,
- From Malga Canali (1,307 m asl), continue along the same track until it meets the Signpost No. 707 again,
- Follow the Signpost No. 707 towards Rifugio Treviso,
- From Rifugio Treviso (1,629 m asl), descend along the Signpost No. 707 until reaching the starting point. ✓
- Located on the eastern side of the Val Canali, in a picturesque landscape of large larches and firs, Rifugio Treviso (originally Canalihütte or Rifugio Canali) was inaugurated on the 26th of August, 1897. The inauguration ceremony was organized by the section of the DOe- AV of Dresden, which had chosen to build the alpine hut where it stands nowadays.
- The inauguration of the Refuge, in 1897, with the iconic first ascent by A.G.S. Raynor and J.S. Phillimore of the climbing track called Torre Dresda (tr. Dresden Tower) on the peak of Pala della Madonna, marked the beginning of mass mountaineering tourism in Val Canali. The valley’s peaks were explored by climbers such as Oscar Schuster and the Meurer family, Beatrice Tomasson, the Phillimore-Raynor couple, Fabbro, Della Fior and Bussi.
- At the end of the Great War, following the Treaty of Saint-Germain, the Canalihütte was entrusted to the Italian Alpine Club (CAI) of Treviso, which in 1924 reopened the hut with its current name. With the ownership of the CAI of Treviso, and especially with its president Giulio Vianello, must be traced not only to the renewal of the refuge, but also to its further enhancement for mountaineering purposes, thanks also to the opening of a brilliant network of new tracks – among which the beautiful Vani Alti and Sédole stand out -, between the 1920s and 1930s. Even today, the path named “del dotór” (tr. of the doctor) recalls the figure of Giulio Vianello, as he was a medical doctor.