Ritonda – Rifugio Pradidali
This classic route, suitable for all hikers, runs along the main and classic access trail to the hut of Rifugio Pradidali (2,278 m asl). The route manages to combine the naturalistic beauty of the forest of the Canali and Pradidali valleys with the breathtaking view you can enjoy from the hut of several impressive peaks of the Pala Group.
The round trip itinerary includes an elevation gain of about 1,300 m, distributed over the almost 6 km of ascent.
The path of the Signpost No. 709, well marked and visible, starts at the location of Sabbionade / La Ritonda (1,180 m asl), where it begins to climb following the watercourse of Rio Pradidali in the nice forest environment offered by the valley of Pradidali – one of the most celebrated valleys of the Pala Group -, which features a natural amphitheater with a breathtaking view of the peaks (from W to E) of Cimèrlo, Stanga, Madonna, di Ball, Canali, Sasso delle Léde and d’Ostio.
The path proceeds through the sparse forest of firs, larches and mountain pines until it reaches the crossroads by the location of Portèla / Pedemonte (1,640 m asl), at the foot of the imposing S face of Cima Canali (2,859 m asl). From the crossroads, the route keeps following the Signpost No. 709, leaving the forest behind and starting to climb a slightly more technical and exposed stretch, which has some equipped sections with fixed ropes; the aided sections of this part of the path, leading directly to Rifugio Pradidali, are not particularly dangerous, but it is still advisable to be careful.
After passing the crossroads with the path called Sentiero delle Sédole and consequently overcoming the steeper section of the ascent, the landscape begins to open up, taking the gaze from being struck by the imposing rock walls to the green basin of the high valley of Pradidali, surrounded by an impressive Dolomite landscape, and on which the hut of Rifugio Pradidali is located.
At the hut, it is worth mentioning that the new bivouac, restored and inaugurated in July 2018, was among the four winners of the architecture prize “Costruire il Trentino 2013-2016”.
The return follows the same path backwards.
- From the location Sabbionade / Ritonda (Val Canali), follow the Signpost No. 709 until reaching the crossroads of Pedemonte (1,640 m asl),
- Keep following the Signpost No. 709 towards Rifugio Pradidali, until you reach the hut,
- From Rifugio Pradidali (2,278 m asl), head back by following the same route. ✓
- The name of the Rifugio probably comes from “prati gialli” (tr. yellow meadows), due to the rich bloom of the alpine poppy growing downstream, which uses to color in yellow the screes of Val Pradidali.
- Rifugio Pradidali is a historic Dolomite’s Rifugio, built in 1896 by the DÖAV of Dresden. The hut is the starting point for several beautiful rock climbs of all kinds and difficulties, including the famous Buhl-Erwing Crack, frequented by mountaineers from all over the world, and other classic rock climbs named after the well-known alpinists Langes, Detassis, Castiglioni, Wiessner, Solleder, up to the great and world wide famous free-climber Maurizio “Manolo” Zanolla (a.k.a. “il mago“, the magician). In the early days of his brilliant climbing career, Manolo established his base camp right at the hut.
- Rifugio Pradidali: http://www.rifugiopradidali.com/