Interesting and classic hike leading to the hut of Rifugio Velo della Madonna, starting and finishing in the middle of the village of San Martino di Castrozza. The route, about 4-5 hours long and suitable for all hikers, is not particularly difficult and develops so that it passes by the rocks under the imposing walls of the Pale di San Martino and the green pastures of Prati Còl and Malga Civertaghe.
Starting from the location of Maso Còl, take the path of the Signpost No. 724 “Val di Ròda” to the left, leaving the paved road. The itinerary continues by climbing towards the suggestive pastures of Prati Còl where, shortly after passing the remains of an old hut, it follows the signs to the left towards Rifugio Velo della Madonna (turning right would lead you directly to Malga Civertaghe). The route continues along a suggestive path immersed in the forest until reaching the crossroads with the Signpost No. 721.
From the crossroads, a slightly more demanding stretch begins; the stretch begins by climbing very steeply along the Signpost No. 721, which alternates the forest with the ascent of a scree, flattening the slope as the altitude rises. As you keep climbing up, the vegetation gradually begins to disappear, opening sights over the village of San Martino di Castrozza and the imposing summit of Cima della Madonna.
After about two hours of walking, you will reach the gap called Cadi Sora Ronz (2,050 m asl), where the paths of the Signposts No. 721 and No. 713 meet. From here on, the route continues exclusively on rocky ground and, depending on the conditions, it can be a bit slippery. While seeing the hut of Rifugio Velo della Madonna, the hike continues on a session of the path which is equipped with ropes and metal steps; do not panic, this section will help you during the ascent that will lead to the highest and most panoramic point of the route. A short and final steep stretch will lead you, after about three hours from the start, to the hut of Rifugio Velo della Madonna (2,358 m asl).
After an optional break, the way back follows downhill the path of the Signpost No. 713, which leads directly to the next destination: Malga Civertaghe (1,375 m asl). Once arrived by Malga Civertaghe, the final part of the itinerary follows the Signpost No. 713 towards San Martino di Castrozza, which leads directly to the village.
- From the village of San Martino di Castrozza (1,487 m a.s.l.), head towards the location of Maso Còl, in order to take the path of the Signpost No. 724,
- Follow the Signpost No. 724 up to the crossroads with the Signpost No. 721, passing through the meadows of Prati Còl,
- Follow the path of the Signpost No. 721 towards Rifugio Velo della Madonna,
- From the hut of Rifugio Velo della Madonna (2,358 m asl), descend along the Signpost No. 713 towards Malga Civertaghe,
- From the hut of Malga Civertaghe (1,375 m asl), follow the Signpost No. 713 towards San Martino di Castrozza, passing once again by Còl Prati, until getting to the village. ✓
RIFUGIO VELO DELLA MADONNA
- The Rifugio Velo della Madonna (also known as Rifugio del Velo) was inaugurated in September 1980. Standing closed and right at the bottom of Cima della Madonna (2,752 m a.s.l.), the hut is located at a crossroads, from where numerous Dolomites climbing route start, including the Spigolo del Velo and the Vie Normali, as well as several paths and Via Ferrata.
- The classic route of Spigolo del Velo gave the name to the hut.
- The famous Spigolo del Velo climbing route (known also by its German name “die Schleierkante“), is considered by many to be the most beautiful in the Eastern Alps. The route was opened on 19 July 1920 by the Austrian mountaineers Gunther Langes and Erwin Merlet, while the first winter ascent was completed on 21 January 1953 by the two climbers from Primiero Lero Gadenz and Giacomo “Meto” Scalet.
- Giacomo “Meto” Scalet, alpinist, Aquila (tr. eagle) of San Martino, Italian champion and Olympic athlete in cross-country skiing in 1936, holds the record of number of ascents on the Spigolo del Velo: 87 officially recorded, 100 according to him.
- Rifugio Velo della Madonna: https://www.rifugiovelodellamadonna.it
- Malga Civertaghe https://www.malga-civertaghe.it
- Scalet, S. (2013). Camminare. Sentieri nelle valli di Primiero, San Martino, Pale di San Martino, Rolle e Vanoi. Versante Sud.