Interesting itinerary (one of the classic from the area of San Martino di Castrozza and Primiero) with departure and arrival in San Martino di Castrozza. The route starts from the edge of the village of San Martino di Castrozza and reaches the hut called Rifugio Velo della Madonna, through the green pastures of Prati Còl and passing by the oldest Malga in the Province of Trento: Malga Civertaghe. The trail is rather easy, and lasts for about 4-5 hours.
Starting from the location of Maso Col, take Trail No. 724 of the Val di Roda. The itinerary climbs towards Prati Còl (ideal for a possible picnic with a view of the Pale di San Martino; once reached an old ruin, follow the signs leadint to Rifugio Velo della Madonna on the left (turning right you would go directly to Malga Civertaghe).Continue along a charming path inside the forest until you reach a small hut and continue by following the Signpost No.724 (be careful not to go straight through the Signpost No.721, which will also bring you to Rifugio Velo della Madonna, but through a more technical and difficult stretch).
The itinerary then proceeds along a gravel road until it reaches a crossroads. From this point, follow the Signpost No.713, on the left. The trail leaves the forest and climbs up onto the scree until it reaches the Cadi Sora Ronz mountain gap (2,050 m a.s.l.), where the Signposts No.721 and No.713 meet. At this point, small boulders and stones could make your walk a bit more challenging. Continue in view of the refuge reaching a part of the path equipped with rope and metal steps: do not panic, indeed, this section is there to facilitate the walk through the highest part of the route. Still a bit of a steep climb and after approximately 2.30 hours of walking you will reach the Rifugio Velo della Madonna (2.358 m a.s.l.).
After an optional break at the hut, the way back takes place entirely along the Signpost No.713, which reaches the next destination: Malga Civertaghe (1.375 m s.l.m.). At Malga Civertaghe you can again feed or rest in the immense adjacent meadows and then heading back while keep following the Signpost No.713 towards San Martino di Castrozza.
- From Maso Còl, in San Martino di Castrozza (1,487 m a.s.l.), take the Signpost No.724,
- Follow the Signpost No. 724 until you cross the Signpost No.713, passing through the meadow called Prati Còl,
- Follow the Signpost No. 713 up to the hut of Rifugio Velo della Madonna,
- From Rifugio Velo della Madonna (2.358 m a.s.l.), head back along the Signpost No.713 towards Malga Civertaghe,
- From Malga Civertaghe (1,375 m a.s.l.), follow again the Signpost No. 713 towards San Martino di Castrozza until reaching the starting point. ✓
RIFUGIO VELO DELLA MADONNA
- The Rifugio Velo della Madonna (also known as Rifugio del Velo) was inaugurated in September 1980. Standing closed and right at the bottom of Cima della Madonna (2,752 m a.s.l.), the hut is located at a crossroads, from where numerous Dolomites climbing route start, including the Spigolo del Velo and the Vie Normali, as well as several paths and Via Ferrata.
- The classic route of Spigolo del Velo gave the name to the hut.
- The famous Spigolo del Velo climbing route (known also by its German name “die Schleierkante“), is considered by many to be the most beautiful in the Eastern Alps. The route was opened on 19 July 1920 by the Austrian mountaineers Gunther Langes and Erwin Merlet, while the first winter ascent was completed on 21 January 1953 by the two climbers from Primiero Lero Gadenz and Giacomo “Meto” Scalet.
- Giacomo “Meto” Scalet, alpinist, Aquila (tr. eagle) of San Martino, Italian champion and Olympic athlete in cross-country skiing in 1936, holds the record of number of ascents on the Spigolo del Velo: 87 officially recorded, 100 according to him.
- Malga Civertaghe is the oldest hut in Trentino.
- Built in 1905, it was the home of the grandparents of the current owners (the brothers Giovanni, Josephine and Giuliano Tavernaro) and remained in operation until 1992, when it was closed.
- Here Reinhold Messner slept before the ascent to the Velo della Madonna.
- To welcome and feed the hikers, the owners have set up original kiosks and comfortable benches and tables.
- Accessible by stroller through the gravel road from San Martino di Castrozza, is an ideal place for families with children.
- Possibility for kids to participate in the difficult “Treasure Hunt”: The childer will have to look inside the “Bosco dei Sogni”, to find the golden key and, once found, they will have to bring it back to the owners to receive an interesting prize.
- Rifugio Velo della Madonna: https://www.rifugiovelodellamadonna.it
- Malga Civertaghe https://www.malga-civertaghe.it
- Scalet, S. (2013). Camminare. Sentieri nelle valli di Primiero, San Martino, Pale di San Martino, Rolle e Vanoi. Versante Sud.