This pleasant itinerary, suitable for snowshoeing during the winter season, starts directly from the center of the village of San Martino di Castrozza (1,472 m asl).
You can park your car near the starting point of the Colverde lift treadmill or directly in the main parking lot of the Colverde gondola (from here you enter the route by following the main road towards Hotel San Martino).
At the beginning, the itinerary takes Via Toffol / Via del Priore and, crossing the main road SS 50, reaches the Hotel San Martino, a building located at the highest point in altitude of the village. After the hairpin bend near the hotel, the route leaves the main road to proceed uphill along the gravel road developing on the left orographic bank of the Cismón stream. Shortly after, by the aqueduct, the path leaves the gravel road to turn right onto a path heading north-east. The path climbs into the forest until it crosses the main road of Passo Rolle SS 50 again and then continues in a north-easterly direction. The route then proceeds uphill in the beautiful fir forest, remaining on the left side of a steeper slope. At the end of this stretch, when the forest thins out, it is possible to see the sign indicating the crossroads with the path called Sentiero del Cacciatore (of Malga Pala, since there are many having the same name), at about 1,760 m of altitude, which connects the hut of Malga Fosse di Sotto with the one of Malga Pala. At the crossroads, the track continues along the Signpost No. 21, taking it to the right, towards Malga Pala. The Sentiero del Cacciatore crosses a short open slope and then re-enters the forest; from here, with a pleasant climb, it proceeds through the woods featuring some bends until it reaches the pastures of Malga Pala.
Before reaching the hut, near a basin – where a stream of water flows that descends directly from the southern walls of Cimon de la Pala – a sign at a crossroads indicates, on the right, the path to San Martino di Castrozza, which will be taken to return back to the village.
Once reached the hut of Malga Pala (1,897 m asl) – after a short, almost mandatory break to enjoy the wonderful view towards San Martino di Castrozza (with the beginning of the Lagorai chain beyond the town), and above all to admire the Cimon de la Pala that stands out behind the hut, together with the Pala Group – the route begins the way back towards San Martino di Castrozza along the Signpost No. 21 “Sentiero del Cacciatore”. Particular attention should be paid once getting into the passage on the Colverde ski slope, which you cross going down to the right. With snowshoes on your feet, you can comfortably follow the ski slope while remaining on the outer edge of it. Once near the last steeply sloping section of the track (a wall with two curves), the path is traced under the safety nets to avoid hindering the skiers.
From here, at last, you quickly descend towards the starting point of the Colverde lift and return to the starting point of the itinerary.
- From the village of San Martino di Castrozza (1,472 m asl), follow the road of Via Toffol / Via del Priore up until reaching the Hotel San Martino,
- After the hairpin bend near the building, leave the main road SS 50 to go up along the gravel road beside the Cismón stream,
- Just by the aqueduct, leave the gravel road to turn right onto a path heading north-east, cross the main road SS 50 and continue until reaching the junction with the path called Sentiero del Cacciatore (of Malga Pala),
- From the crossroads (1,760 m asl), proceed along the Signost No. 21 towards Malga Pala,
- From the hut of Malga Pala (1,897 m asl), descend along the Signpost No. 21 “Sentiero del Cacciatore” towards San Martino di Castrozza, passing along the Colverde ski slope. ✓