This hike, extremely suitable for snowshoes during the winter season, is a fairly popular loop around the place of Fontanelle, located south of the village of San Martino di Castrozza. Although the trail is to all intents and purposes a rather simple walk, especially if faced without snow, the northernmost section of the route offers amazing sights, with views that overlook directly the Pale di San Martino from Val di Roda, featuring incredible proximity to the imposing vertical walls.
The route starts from the car park at the base of the Colverde gondola, where the gravel road of the Signpost No. 702 (Strada Forestale Val di Ròda) starts heading east towards Còl / Malga Civertaghe. The road begins flat, then it starts climbing slightly. Once you reach the location above the meadows of Prati Còl, called Sopra Còl, the route continues along the flat gravel road, making the walk extremely pleasant, while also presenting several beautiful views both on the meadows of Còl and Fontanelle and on the mountains overlooking Val di Ròda. Once you reach the crossroads of Val di Roda, the route proceeds following the downhill gravel road of the Signpost No. 724, passing the hut of Rifugio Forestale (1,511 m asl), and then continuing the descent until getting onto the spectacular meadows of Còl, shaping a large natural amphitheater overlooking the Pala Group (with the peaks of Rosetta to the north and Val di Ròda to the south). From Còl, the route proceeds to the right, towards the north, the path of the Signpost No. 23 which descends towards the hamlet of Maso Col. At the crossroads with the paved road connecting the village with Maso Còl, continue along the road towards the village of San Martino di Castrozza, which can be reached by following the road of Via Fontanelle until reaching the square of Piazzetta dei Crodaroi, near the church. During this urban stretch, it will be necessary to remove the snowshoes. From Piazzetta dei Crodaroi it will be sufficient to go up towards Colverde to return to the starting point, hence closing this pretty ring.
This route, with the exception of the urban stretch, can be tackled with snowshoes during the winter season. If you want to try a different experience, our suggestion is to tackle this hike after sunset, when the weather and the moonlight allow you to see the lines of the surrounding peaks.
- From the parking lot of the Colverde gondola, take the gravel road of the Signpost No. 702 towards the south-east, heading to Còl / Malga Civertaghe / Rifugio Velo della Madonna,
- Follow the gravel road southwards until getting to the crossroads of Val di Ròda,
- From the crossroads, go back towards Prati Còl / Maso Còl, along the Signpost No. 724 / 23,
- From the location of Prati Còl, follow the paved road towards San Martino di Castrozza, getting to the center of the village along the road of Via Fontanelle,
- From the church, go up towards the Colverde gondola, until heading back to the starting point. ✓