Tonadico - Siror

Tonadico – Siror

Details

Location Tonadico
Features Mountain villages
Track Condition Urban
Vertigo Level 0/5
Ground (Forest) -
Ground (Grass) -
Ground (Rock) -
Ground (Urban) 100%
Length 3.7 km
Duration 0h45
Elev Gain 70m
Elev Loss 70m
Max Elevation 786m
Min Elevation 737m
Car Park 46.17623, 11.829920

Start

Google-Maps-256

   

Description

This is a simple and relaxing walk through the villages of Tonadìco and Sirór, which stand on the upper part of Primiero Valley, defining its northern boundaries. The two villages offer a pleasant landscape, with a nice view on the Pale di San Martino. They maintain as well an historically accurate rural architecture.

The walk is a loop that follows the narrow streets of Tonadìco, considered the most ancient village of the valley. After leaving the village, the walk will reach its highest point of the track, at St. Vittore Church, from which there is an overview over the whole municipality of Primiero San Martino di Castrozza, as well as a splendid view of Vette Feltrine mountain chain and Monte Bedolé. After a short descent, following a nice road on the edge of the mountain, the loop crosses the village of Sirór.

The walk ends by returning towards Tonadìco, where it is possible to make a small variant to observe St. Giacomo Church‘ remains, the only visible sign of the ancient village of Piubàgo, destroyed by a flood between 1114 and 1117 AD.

The inhabitants of Tonadico and Siror host and organize the main events of the valley:

  • Siror Christmas Market (the oldest in Trentino);
  • Desmontegada, an event linked to the transhumance, held in September.

 

Tonadico

 

It is not easy to define the etymological origin of the name of the village, despite numerous historical evidences. During Middle Ages, Tonadico had been the political center of the Primiero community for quite sometime. The St.Vittore Church, from the protector of Feltre, and Palazzo Scopoli are both remarkable monuments present in Tonadico. St. Vittore church presents typical medieval architecture and hosts numerous and interesting frescoes. The choice of St. Vittore was made because, at the time of its construction, Primiero was under the Bishop of Feltre jurisdiction. Palazzo Scopoli, built in year 1,000 AD, had an initial function of warehouse. It then changed its function becoming the residence of the Bishop of Feltre’s vicar.

 

Siror

 

Historically, the origin of the name of the village is not clear. It is likely that it is coming from the geographical position of the village (superior: siror). Sirór presents typical features of a mountain village, with numerous frescoes depicting local legends, in addition to typical architectural structures remarking strong agricultural roots.

 

Fun facts

 

  • Locally, the residents of Sirór are being called “slapazuche” (tr. eating pumpkins). This nickname comes from the legend that saw Siror selling a bell to Transacqua municipality. The belt was supposed to be paid with a cargo of pumpkins, which was never delivered. Since then, the inhabitants of Transacqua became “those who do not pay debts”, while the inhabitants of Siror “those who eat pumpkins”.
  • The nickname of the inhabitants of Tonadìco is “strighi” (tr. witches), probably because they are known to be malignant and introverse. It should be emphasized as well that in the Middle Ages the witch trials were held in Tonadico.
  • A mystery surrounds the ruins of the ancient village of Piubàgo. Its own existence might just be a legend, since there are no clear evidence of it. Yet, the discovery of a bell not belonging to any existing municipality has been intriguing.

 

References

 

  • Tissot, L. (1996). Dizionario Primierotto. Editore Manfrini.
Strava
GPX

  GALLERY